Re: How to upgrade postgres version 8 to 13 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to upgrade postgres version 8 to 13
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/5/22 10:56 AM, shashidhar Reddy wrote:
> Down time 10 to 15 hrs
> Hardware specs are also not sure for now as it is client machine.

This is going to be a difficult task for the following reasons:

1) pg_upgrade(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgupgrade.html)
only goes back to 8.4. So you will need to use other tools if you want
to emulate it.

2) 8.2 --> 13 represent 14 years of changes. In particular the implicit
type cast changes that happened in 8.3. You will need to testing to
determine whether what you are doing in 8.2 is going to work in 13. Also
why version 13?

3) The size of the data set.

In other words there is going to be a lot of preliminary work and
testing that is going to need to be done before you even start the
transfer. The first of that is determining what your setup is. My guess
is you will end up doing this in stages of using intervening Postgres
versions.

> On Tue, 5 Jul, 2022, 11:22 pm Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 7/5/22 10:48 AM, shashidhar Reddy wrote:
>
>     Reply to list also
>
>     Ccing list
>
>      > Hello Adrian,
>      >
>      > Os is Ubuntu  not sure about the version I am looking for the low
>      > downtime method it may be on same or different machine but same
>     machine
>      > is preferable
>     Hardware specs?
>
>     How low is low for downtime?