Re: pg_dump additional options for performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jochem van Dieten
Subject Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date
Re: pg_dump additional options for performance  ("Tom Dunstan" <pgsql@tomd.cc>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>  I agree.  Since any multiple-output-file case can't usefully use stdout,
>  I think we should combine the switches and just have one switch that
>  says both that you want separated output and what the target filename
>  is.  Thus something like
>
>         --pre-schema-file = foo
>         --data-file = bar
>         --post-schema-file = baz

Or we could have a switch that specifies a directory and have pg_dump
split the dump not just in pre-schema, data and post-schema, but also
split the data in a file for each table. That would greatly facilitate
a parallel restore of the data through multiple connections.

Jochem