Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jochem van Dieten
Subject Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:23:10 -0500, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> Is there any provision in the information schema part of the standard for
> vendor specific extensions?

Yes, there is:
   "An SQL-implementation may define objects that are associated with    INFORMATION_SCHEMA that are not defined in
thisClause. An   SQL-implementation or any future version of ISO/IEC 9075 may also   add columns to tables that are
definedin this Clause."

ISO/IEC 9075-11:2003    4.2    Introduction to the Information Schema

If we combine this with the promise that no object defined by the
standard will ever end in an underscore, I can think of no reason not
to add PostgreSQL specific columns as long as they end in an
underscore. The underscore will not only prevent conflicts with future
versions of the standard, it will also serve as a warning that that
column is a PostgreSQL extension.

Jochem

PS I think I spotted an inconsistency in the standard. It says "to
tables that are defined in this Clause", while the Clause only defines
views, not tables.