Re: [HACKERS] Interval for launching the table sync worker - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Interval for launching the table sync worker
Date
List pgsql-hackers
<f64d87d1-bef3-5e3e-a999-ba302816a0ee@2ndquadrant.com>

>>> Thanks, I've now understood correctly. Yes, I think you're right. If
>>> we update the hash table based on the catalog whenever table state is
>>> invalidated, we don't need to have both hash table and list.
>>>
>>> BTW, in current HEAD the SUBREL_STATE_SYNCWAIT is not stored in the
>>> pg_subscription_catalog. So the following condition seems not correct.
>>> We should use "syncworker->relstate == SUBSCRIPTION_STATE_SYNCWAIT"
>>> instead?
>>>
>>>             /*
>>>              * There is a worker synchronizing the relation and waiting for
>>>              * apply to do something.
>>>              */
>>>             if (syncworker && rstate->state == SUBREL_STATE_SYNCWAIT)
>>>             {
>>>                 /*
>>>                  * There are three possible synchronization situations here.
>>>                  *
>>>                  * a) Apply is in front of the table sync: We tell the table
>>>                  *    sync to CATCHUP.
>>>                  *
>>>                  * b) Apply is behind the table sync: We tell the table sync
>>>                  *    to mark the table as SYNCDONE and finish.
>>>
>>>                  * c) Apply and table sync are at the same position: We tell
>>>                  *    table sync to mark the table as READY and finish.
>>>                  *
>>>                  * In any case we'll need to wait for table sync to change
>>>                  * the state in catalog and only then continue ourselves.
>>>                  */
>>>

>> Good catch. Although it's not comment that's wrong, it's the if. We
>> should not compare rstate->state but syncworker->relstate.
>
> I've attached a patch to fix this bug.

Rereading the code again, it's actually not bug as we update the rstate
to what syncworker says, but it's obviously confusing so probably still
worth to commit that.

Services