Re: A problem in inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Talha Khan
Subject Re: A problem in inheritance
Date
List pgsql-general
>>to impact that update you'd have to have a rule on
>>account_login. No rule on a child table will matter.

Well i had the same perception.... In order to double check this i created an On insert do nothing rule on the child table and did an insertion to the master table i.e (account_login) but this time the On insert do nothing rule did affect and no insert was done to the child table...

Note: I did not have any on insert do nothing rule on the master table.

Regards,

Talha Amjad

On 6/23/07, Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
On Jun 20, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Talha Khan wrote:
> THE ACTUAL TEST:
>
>   DROP RULE account_login_no_update ON account_login;
>

>   UPDATE account_login set originating_source = 'xxx';
>
>   Now the update should not effect the child table but it does,
> evident
>   from the output of the following query:

That's because you dropped the rule that would have affected that
query. Remember that rules effectively work on the query strings
themselves, so to impact that update you'd have to have a rule on
account_login. No rule on a child table will matter.
--
Jim Nasby                                             jim@nasby.net
EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)