Re: data dependent sequences? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stuart
Subject Re: data dependent sequences?
Date
List pgsql-sql
"chester c young" <chestercyoung@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:609880.51564.qm@web54306.mail.re2.yahoo.com...

> > CREATE TABLE items (
> >     id INT,
> >     typ INT    ...
> >     PRIMAY KEY (seq,typ));
> >

> >    id   typ
> >   ----+-----
> >     1   'a'
> >     2   'a'
> >     3   'a'
> >     1   'b'
> >     4   'a'
> >     2   'b'
>
> you will need to use pre insert trigger since you cannot use column
> references in default expression.
>
> you could use this same trigger to either:
> - create sequences as needed and apply the right one
> - with locking, lookup for last id of typ
> - with locking, keep another table of typ and nextval

Thanks, that summerizes the options nicely.

I noticed that sequences are tables with a single row
that defines the sequence properties.  I was hoping
that there was some way of using a sequence with multiple
rows to maintain multiplre sequences in a sngle table,
which would make having a large number of sequences a
little less cluttered, but sounds like I need to implement
that from scratch.