Re: MySQL million tables - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Guido Barosio
Subject Re: MySQL million tables
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Well,

    This is a WTF case, but year ago, a request arrived from the Develociraptors to the DBA team.

   Their need was a 2 terabyte db [with a particular need, continue]. They did benchmark on both mysql and postgresql, and believe me, it was funny, cause the DBA team refuse to support the idea, and left the funny und wild developmentiraptors on their own.

   The result? A script creating more o less 40.000 (oh yeah, like the foo$i one) tables on a mysql db and making it almost unable to be browsed, but live, currently in a beta stage, but freezed as the lack of support. (without DBA's support, again)

   Lovely! But you never know with these things, you neeever know.

note: I've created 250k tables in 63 minutes using the perl script from a previous post, on my own workstation. (RH3, short on ram, average CPU, ebay.com used and shipped from the north to the south crappy drive)

g.-

On 3/11/06, Jim Nasby < jim@nasby.net> wrote:
I can't believe y'all are burning cycles on this. :P