Re: LWLock Queue Jumping - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: LWLock Queue Jumping
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
Jeff Janes wrote:
   ---------- Forwarded message ----------
   From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>
   To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com
   <mailto:heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>>
   Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:48:47 +0200
   Subject: Re: LWLock Queue Jumping
   Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

       I don't have any pointers right now, but WALInsertLock does
       often show
       up as a bottleneck in write-intensive benchmarks.

   yeah I recently ran accross that issue with testing concurrent COPY
   performance:

   http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/blog/index.php?/archives/27-Benchmarking-8.4-Chapter-2bulk-loading.html
   discussed here:

   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-06/msg01019.php

It looks like this is the bulk loading of data into unindexed tables.  How good is that as a target for optimization?  I can see several (quite difficult to code and maintain) ways to make bulk loading into unindexed tables faster, but they would not speed up the more general cases.

well bulk loading into unindexed tables is quite a common workload - apart from dump/restore cycles (which we can now do in parallel) a lot of analytic workloads are that way.
Import tons of data from various sources every night/weeek/month, index, analyze & aggregate, drop again.

In those cases where you end by dropping the tables, we should be willing to bypass WAL altogether, right?  Is the problem we can bypass WAL (by doing the COPY in the same transaction that created or truncated the table), or we can COPY in parallel, but we can't do both simultaneously?

Jeff