Re: [pgsql-hackers] Daily digest v1.9418 (15 messages) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers] Daily digest v1.9418 (15 messages)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:07:05 -0500
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

> Maybe we should be looking at an expanded test suite that runs on a
> time scale of hours rather than seconds.

> if we could say that we had a regression test suite which covered X%
> of our code, and it passed on all Y platforms tested, that would
> certainly be a confidence booster, especially for large values of X.

> Part of the question, of course, is how to build up such a
> regression test suite.

Aren't there code coverage monitoring tools that could be run during
regression tests?  Sure it would take some time to review the results
and fashion tests to exercise chunks of code which were missed, but at
least we could quantify X and try to make incremental progress on
increasing it....

But the fact that a piece of code was executed doesn't mean
it did the right thing.  If it does something subtly wrong,
will we notice?

Jeff