Help with optional parameters - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rob Tester
Subject Help with optional parameters
Date
Re: Help with optional parameters  (MaXX <bs139412@skynet.be>)
List pgsql-sql
I have the need to have optional values for a query in a stored procedure that I am building. (using postgres 8.1.4). This particular query executes against a huge table (several million rows) and has six optional parameters that can be sent to the function. If one of the parameters is null then the parameter doesn't need to be included in the query. Also the values in the columns that are optional can contain NULL values. One way that will work (although extremely cumbersome) is to have a switch on the parameters to execute the correct query:

--This is a sample
IF (a IS NULL AND b IS NULL) THEN
    select * from my_table;
ELSEIF (a IS NOT NULL and b IS NULL) THEN
    select * from my_table where a=parama;
ELSEIF (a IS NULL and b IS NOT NULL) THEN
    select * from my_table where b=paramb;
ELSE
    select * from my_table where a=parama AND b=paramb;
ENDIF;

This is extremely bad when you have 6 parameters giving 64 possible queries.

I tried using this (which works) but the planner likes to throw out the index for the columns because of the OR condition:

select * from my_table WHERE (parama IS NULL OR a=parama) AND (paramb IS NULL OR b=paramb);

My next thought was to get the planner to think that using indexes would be a good thing so I did the following:

select * from my_table WHERE a=COALESCE(parama,a) AND b=COALESCE(paramb,b);

That works great unless the column value for a or b IS NULL in which case NULL<>NULL because it equals NULL.

Then I used the standby: set transform_null_equals to 1

This allows select null=null to return true.

However, I ran into the problem that a=a (when a is a NULL value) still equals NULL. But a=NULL is true. So it didn't work out.

What is the best way to write a query and get the planner to use indexes when you have optional parameters and columns that can contain NULL values?