customize Postgres install issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From weixiang tam
Subject customize Postgres install issue
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear all,

I am using the archive binary(8.4.1 Linux x64) from EnterpriseDB http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do for the installation. Basically I just unzipping the binary under /home/app/, so i have the following directory structure
/home/app/pgsql
I noticed that i need to execute the command /sbin/ldconfig /home/app/pgsql/lib so that postgresdb can locate the appropriate library during startup. However the command complaining some file is not symbolic link as follow

/sbin/ldconfig: /home/app/pgsql/lib/libpgtypes.so.3 is not a symbolic link
/sbin/ldconfig: /home/app/pgsql/lib/libuuid.so.16 is not a symbolic link
/sbin/ldconfig: /home/app/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.5 is not a symbolic link
/sbin/ldconfig: /home/app/pgsql/lib/libecpg.so.6 is not a symbolic link
/sbin/ldconfig: /home/app/pgsql/lib/libecpg_compat.so.3 is not a symbolic

I wonder is the above significant to the pgsql functionality? Is it safe to ignore? Thanks for enlighten me.

My environment is as follow
Redhat Linux 5.4 x64

Regards,
Wei Xiang