Re: Fix for FETCH FIRST syntax problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vik Fearing
Subject Re: Fix for FETCH FIRST syntax problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20/05/18 01:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 20/05/18 00:57, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm +1 for backpatching it.  It may be operating as designed by PeterE
>> ten years ago, but it's not operating as designed by the SQL standard.
>
> By that argument, *anyplace* where we're missing a SQL-spec feature
> is a back-patchable bug.  I don't buy it.

Only features we claim to support.  I obviously wouldn't consider
backpatching ASSERTIONs, for example.

> It may be that this fix is simple and safe enough that the risk/reward
> tradeoff favors back-patching, but I think you have to argue it as a
> favorable tradeoff rather than just saying "this isn't per standard".
> Consider: if Andrew had completely rewritten gram.y to get the same
> visible effect, would you think that was back-patchable?

Is the decision to backpatch based on behavior, or code churn?
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36