Re: BUG #17937: Corrupt Indexes after reusing DRBD Device on new VM - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: BUG #17937: Corrupt Indexes after reusing DRBD Device on new VM
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 5/17/23 05:42, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> After we migrated the VM from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8, we had a few issues
> with broken/corrupt indexes. This problem occured a total of 3 times. Each

> The error messages all looked very similar to the following:
> Database error: [S]ERROR#012[V]ERROR#012[C]XX002#012[M]table tid from new
> index tuple (3346213,70) cannot find insert offset between offsets 2 and 4
> of block 5485 in index

> Have you ever heard of a similiar problem ?
> Any leads what might cause these problems would be very helpful.

CentOS 7 is glibc 2.17
AlmaLinux 8 is glibc 2.28

There are known issues with glibc upgrades (in particular 2.28, but also
in general) causing collation changes which break all indexes which use
glibc collations (basically text, varchar, char). You need to rebuild
them, preferably before allowing *any* write activity (inserts or updates).

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team