Re: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Marcin Zajączkowski
Subject Re: Binaries of PGAdmin3 for RHEL5
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 2007-06-12 19:38, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
(...)
>> 2. The README states that, "To use pgadmin3 RPM on Fedora Core 6, you
>> will need to install the wx 2.8.0 packages that are in wx/ directory.
>> This *may* break applications that are built against wx 2.6. Use at
>> your own risk."  Can someone install later wx packages?
>
> ftp://ftp.tr.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/pgadmin3/release/v1.6.3/fedora-core-6/wx
>
> You may install these ones, and since this has a higher release number,
> noone can install the older version (of course, one can remove these and
> install fc wx packages)
>
>> There are a few considerations I used when packaging 1.6.3.  First, in
>> my  obsession with keeping system directories uncluttered, I've
>> compiled (and will package) wx 2.8.4 and pgadmin 1.6.3 to go under
>> their own directories under /opt.  So, if there are any wx 2.6
>> libraries under /usr/lib or/usr/local/lib, they won't be disturbed.
>> (In any case, the wx libraries all have 2.8 in their filenames, so
>> theoretically there shouldn't be any collisions...)
>
> Even though it is up to you, I would not do that. I *do* stick packaging
> guidelines of Fedora. Also it should not matter whether you install or
> not -- wx "RPM" that will go under /opt will conflict with FC "RPM".

Hi,

To workaround a problem with conflict of wxWidgets packages in FC6 I
recompiled wxWidgets from FC7/devel repository and changed the name of a
package. Now I have:
[marcinz@bolger ~]$ rpm -qa | grep wxGTK
wxGTK28-devel-2.8.3-3.fc6
wxGTK-2.6.3-2.6.3.2.3.fc6
wxGTK28-2.8.3-3.fc6
compat-wxGTK-common-2.4.2-21.fc6
compat-wxGTK-2.4.2-21.fc6
wxGTK28-gl-2.8.3-3.fc6

pgadmin 1.6.3 package rebuilt from SRPM for F7 works fine (wxGTK28
provides wxGTK-2.8 and libs can lay in the same directory - they have
different numbers).
The problem could be that you have to compile wxWidgets from sources
which takes a lot of disk space (and time).

Regards
Marcin