Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/18/22 13:04, Amit Kapila wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'm also puzzled with this check. It seems that this function
>>> doesn't work well when the apply worker is not running and some
>>> tablesync workers are running. I initially thought that the apply
>>> worker calls to this function as many as tables that needs to be
>>> synced, but it checks the max_sync_workers_per_subscription limit
>>> before calling to logicalrep_worker_launch(). So I'm not really sure
>>> we need this check.
>>>

>> I just hope that the original author Petr J. responds to this point. I
>> have added him to this email. This will help us to find the best
>> solution for this problem.
>>

> I did some more investigation for this code. It is added by commit [1]
> and the patch that led to this commit is first time posted on -hackers
> in email [2]. Now, neither the commit message nor the patch (comments)
> gives much idea as to why this part of code is added but I think there
> is some hint in the email [2]. In particular, read the paragraph in
> the email [2] that has the lines: ".... and limiting sync workers per
> subscription theoretically wasn't either (although I don't think it
> could happen in practice).".
>
> It seems that this check has been added to theoretically limit the
> sync workers even though that can't happen because apply worker
> ensures that before trying to launch the sync worker. Does this theory
> make sense to me? If so, I think we can change the check as: "if
> (OidIsValid(relid) && nsyncworkers >=
> max_sync_workers_per_subscription)" in launcher.c. This will serve the
> purpose of the original code and will solve the issue being discussed
> here. I think we can even backpatch this. What do you think?

Sounds reasonable to me. It's unfortunate there's no explanation of what
exactly is the commit message fixing (and why), but I doubt anyone will
remember the details after 5 years.

+1 to backpatching, I consider this to be a bug

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company