order by differences: locale problem? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Raphael Bauduin
Subject order by differences: locale problem?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

I have ordering differences between 2 servers, running both the same
linux distribution (debian), the same postgresql server (8.2.9, though
one was compiled, and the order installed with debian packages).
Both have differences in ordering, and I don't know which settings
influence this behaviour:

Here's an example:

Server 1: expected behaviour:

select 'About' as n union select 'arrow' as n union select 'Bold' as n
union select 'sequence' as n order by n;
----------
 About
 Bold
 arrow
 sequence

Server 2:  undesired behaviour: it sorts results case unsensitive

select 'About' as n union select 'arrow' as n union select 'Bold' as n
union select 'sequence' as n order by n;
----------
 About
 arrow
 Bold
 sequence

What settings do I have to change to have the same behaviour on both servers?

Thanks in advance.

Raphaël

--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com