Re: difference between EXCEPT and NOT IN? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Raphael Bauduin
Subject Re: difference between EXCEPT and NOT IN?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Stephan Szabo
<sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
>
>  > The 2 following statements don't give the same result. I expected the
>  > second ti give the exact same result as the first one.
>
>  If any entree_id can be NULL they aren't defined to give the same result.
>
>  EXCEPT is defined in terms of duplicates based on distinctness, and for
>  example (1 is distinct from 1) is false, (1 is distinct from NULL) is true
>  and (NULL is distinct from NULL) if false.
>
>  NOT IN is defined in terms of equality, and for example, (1=1) is true,
>  (1=NULL) is unknown and (NULL=NULL) is unknown.

My problem came from 2 entries in the table postes that had an entree_id NULL

Thanks for your fast answer, it has helped me spot the problem!

Raph

--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org