Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Konstantin Knizhnik
Subject Re: [Proposal] Global temporary tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 09.01.2020 19:30, Tomas Vondra wrote:

3 Still no one commented on GTT's transaction information processing, they include
3.1 Should gtt's frozenxid need to be care?
3.2 gtt’s clog clean
3.3 How to deal with "too old" gtt data

No idea what to do about this.

I wonder what is the specific of GTT here?
The same problem takes place for normal (local) temp tables, doesn't it?

Not sure. TBH I'm not sure I understand what the issue actually is.

Just open session, create temporary table and insert some data in it.
Then in other session run 2^31 transactions (at my desktop it takes about 2 hours).
As far as temp tables are not proceeded by vacuum, database is stalled:

 ERROR:  database is not accepting commands to avoid wraparound data loss in database "postgres"

It seems to be quite dubious behavior and it is strange to me that nobody complains about it.
We discuss  many issues related with temp tables (statistic, parallel queries,...) which seems to be less critical.

But this problem is not specific to GTT - it can be reproduced with normal (local) temp tables.
This is why I wonder why do we need to solve it in GTT patch.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company