Re: Insert data if it is not existing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Insert data if it is not existing
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/23/2018 07:59 PM, tango ward wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:51 AM, Adrian Klaver

>     Try the example I showed previously. If you do not want to use the
>     the named parameters e.g %(name)s then use use %s and a tuple like:
>
>     '''
>     INSERT INTO my_table(%s, %s)
>     WHERE NOT EXISTS(SELECT name FROM my_table WHERE name= %s)
>     ''', (Scott', 23, 'Scott'))
>

>         Trying to coordinate with Lead Dev about adding Index On The Fly
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>

> Thank you Master, the name=%s solved it.

Please show the complete example that worked for completeness.

FYI, psql is your friend. When I work out queries I try them in psql
first and then move up to whatever interface I will be using. This is
usually done on a dev server so mistakes don't bring things down. If I
have to work on a production instance then I do:
BEGIN;
some_query;
ROLLBACK;

--