Re: partition insert performance - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Anj Adu
Subject Re: partition insert performance
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thanks to all for your advice. I will stay away from dynamic sql. The current implementation of static date comparisons in the trigger is lightning fast..(we have over 50 million inserts per day). I will bite the maintenance overhead as I cannot compromise on performance.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Gurjeet Singh<singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> If you're using plpgsql prepare for a world of pain if you've got any
>>> null values in your inserts.
>>
>> :) Using COALESCE isn't that bad.

> In my experience it's WAY more than just coalesce.

quote_nullable() would really be the right thing for inserts.  However,
I think the short answer to the OP's question is that dynamic SQL will
lose big-time performancewise.

                       regards, tom lane