Re: backup manifests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: backup manifests
Date
Re: backup manifests  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/19/19 5:00 AM, Rushabh Lathia wrote:

> My colleague Suraj did testing and noticed the performance impact
> with the checksums.   On further testing, he found that specifically with
> sha its more of performance impact.

I admit I haven't been following along closely, but why do we need a
cryptographic checksum here instead of, say, a CRC? Do we think that
somehow the checksum might be forged? Use of cryptographic hashes as
general purpose checksums has become far too common IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew