Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> schrieb:
>On 08/01/2013 10:24 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> Let's please NOT call it conf.d if it's living in PGDATA and is not
>>> meant to be edited by hand.  conf.d is for a directory of config
>files
>>> created by users and external utilities, living in CONFIGDIR.
>>
>> How nice that that's not what's being discussed here then. conf.d
>*IS*
>> the thing thats been proposed to be a separate feature from ALTER
>> SYSTEM. For the use case you describe.
>
>Some of the earlier emails sounded like that's exactly what was
>proposed.  Glad to clarify then.
>
>*if* we do file-per-setting, what do you think of the directory name
>system_set or system_conf then?

Postgresql.auto.conf.d is what I'd propose, but the decision about that seems to be one of the smaller problems around
thisfeature... That naming seems to make it sensible to extend other files (hba, ident) similarly at a later point.

Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.