Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Responses Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
>
> > Postgresql.auto.conf.d is what I'd propose, but the decision about
> > that seems to be one of the smaller problems around this feature...
> > That naming seems to make it sensible to extend other files (hba,
> > ident) similarly at a later point.
>
> I don't like this particular naming proposal, but I'm glad this patch
> finally seems to be getting somewhere.

Yeah, also not a fan.  We don't have any 'conf.d' directories in PGDATA
and I don't think we should start now.  I liked Josh's suggestions of
something like "system_conf".  For multiple independent config files, we
could use directories under that (eg: 'pgconf', 'pghba', 'pgident'..).
Thanks,
    Stephen