Re: Index utilization - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Emanuel Calvo Franco
Subject Re: Index utilization
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/8/13  <kbarnard@kevinbarnard.net>:
> I am working on cleaning up a bloated database.  I have been reindexing etc.
>  There appear to be a good number of never to almost never used indexes.  I
> am looking in pg_stat_user_indexes which yields some questions.
>
> Assuming that the reset stats on server is not turned on how old are stats?

Old as your first start of the server. Except if you made  a
total dump of the database that could erase them.

> Are there any good open source tools to monitor how often indexes are used?

It's too specific. But your question is interesting to analyze
this kind of features.

> I was basically thinking of writing end of day numbers for the stats in a
> table so I can plot index usage over a few months to see what is getting
> used.  Does anybody see a problem with that?

Could be for the firsts months, then you will not need it
any more. but sounds charm for me. If i can offer some code
let me know :)

--
              Emanuel Calvo Franco
             Database consultant at: