Re: pgbackrest when data/base is symlinked to another volume - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: pgbackrest when data/base is symlinked to another volume
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/07/2018 05:22 PM, David Steele wrote:
Hi Ron,

On 9/6/18 11:21 PM, Ron wrote:

Will pgbackrest properly backup and restore the cluster if data/base, data/pg_xlog and data/pg_log are symlinks?

PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data
$PGDATA/base -> /Database/9.6/base
$PGDATA/pg_log -> /Database/9.6/pg_log
$PGDATA/pg_xlog -> /Database/9.6/pg_xlog

Yes, this will work.  Note that restore does not recreate symlinks by default so you'll need to specify --link-all to enable symlink creation.

See https://pgbackrest.org/configuration.html#section-restore/option-link-all for details.

Using symlinks in this way will make management of your clusters more difficult, mostly because systems need more provisioning before restores can be performed.  In general I'd recommend against it unless there are performance considerations.

Now that I'm thinking more about what you wrote... "data" isn't on it's own partition.  data/base has it's own partition.

What's the recommended method for putting base/ on a partition different from data/?  Or is that not recommended?