Re: pg_dump: sortDumpableObjectsByTypeName() doesn't always do that - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_dump: sortDumpableObjectsByTypeName() doesn't always do that
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 08/06/2018 03:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jacob Champion <pchampion@pivotal.io> writes:
>> We recently ran into an issue in pg_dump that caused the initial
>> sort-by-name pass to return incorrect results. It doesn't seem to
>> affect overall correctness, since the later toposort pass takes care
>> of dependencies, but it does occasionally cause a spurious diff in
>> dump output before and after a pg_upgrade run.
> Do you mean "incorrect results", or just "unstable results"?
> If the former, what's incorrect about it?

I'd also like to see a test case.

We should perhaps have a more representative set of data for the upgrade
testing, both same version and cross-version, which judge success by
comparing pre and post dumps, but I don't recall ever seeing this.

cheers

andrew