Re: BUG #17064: Parallel VACUUM operations cause the error "global/pg_filenode.map contains incorrect checksum" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #17064: Parallel VACUUM operations cause the error "global/pg_filenode.map contains incorrect checksum"
Date
In response to Re: BUG #17064: Parallel VACUUM operations cause the error "global/pg_filenode.map contains incorrect checksum"  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: BUG #17064: Parallel VACUUM operations cause the error "global/pg_filenode.map contains incorrect checksum"  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
On 24/06/2021 11:06, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 7:52 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1, no doubt about that.
>>
>> Committed that. Thanks for the report, Alexander!
>
> I think you missed relmap_redo (including a misleading comment).

Fixed, thanks!

>> If anyone wants a write a patch for that, I'd be happy to review it. And
>> if anyone has access to a system with pmem hardware, it would be
>> interesting to try to reproduce a torn sector and broken control file by
>> pulling the power plug.
>
> I have been working on a kind of experimental file system for
> simulating torn sectors (and other interesting file system phenomena)
> as part of some work on recovery scenerio testing, not quite ready to
> share yet but it can simulate that exact failure...

Cool! We know what happens if pg_control file is torn, though. What I'd
like to know is whether it can happen in practice with pmem, an how
likely it is. For curiosity mostly, I think we have already established
that it can happen, and it would be nice to protect against it in any
case, even if it's rare.

- Heikki