Re: Extra cost of "lossy mode" Bitmap Scan plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From higepon
Subject Re: Extra cost of "lossy mode" Bitmap Scan plan
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi.

> Good point. I saw the bad behavior on DBT-3 (TPC-H) benchmark before.
> Loss-less bitmap scan was faster than seq Scan,
> but lossy bitmap scan was slower than seq Scan:

Thank you.

> Sure, we need it! Also, I hope some methods to determine whether the
> bitmap scan was lossy or not, and how amount of work_mem is required to do
> loss-less bitmap scan. For example, a new GUC variable trace_bitmapscan to
> print the information of bitmap scan, like trace_sort for sorting.

I think it is not hard to implement these methods and trace function.

The problem that remains to be solved is
"How much extra cost should we add for lossy mode?".

Any ideas?

Best regards,

-----
MINOWA Taro (Higepon)