Re: [HACKERS] case_preservation_and_insensitivity = on - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: [HACKERS] case_preservation_and_insensitivity = on
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/20/17 3:30 AM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> Also, I think the --lowercase-uniqueness feature would be useful by
> itself even without the --case-preserving feature,
> since that might be a good way to enforce a good design of new databases,
> as a mix of "users" and "Users" is probably considered ugly by many
> system designers.

FWIW, I don't think --lowercase-uniqueness is a good name.
--case-insensitive-unique would be better.

In addition to that, it'd be interesting to allow for a user-supplied
name validation function that can throw an error if it sees something it
doesn't like (such as a name that contains spaces, or one that's longer
than NAMEDATALEN). I suspect it'd be pretty hard to add that though.

BTW, keep in mind that what you're suggesting here means changing
*every* catalog that contains a name field. A query against info_schema
will show you that that's most of them.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)