Re: pre-parser query manipulation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randall Smith
Subject Re: pre-parser query manipulation
Date
List pgsql-general
Erik Jones wrote:
> This may be a dupe.  I sent and had some issues with my mail client and
> afterwards it was sitting all alone in my outbox, if you've already seen
> this, sorry for the resend...
>
> On Mar 14, 2007, at 2:08 PM, Randall Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm attempting to process a query written in the form:
>>
>>     SELECT fields FROM table WHERE conditions FOR UPDATE OF field_name
>>
>> when Postgresql supports:
>>
>>     SELECT fields FROM table WHERE conditions FOR UPDATE OF table_name
>>
>> I'd like to remove the OF clause in the case only one table is queried.
>>
>> Anyone know of a solution to this?
>
> The OF clause is optional in postrges.  The semantics are thus:
>
> Without OF clause:  lock all rows in all tables in the from clause that
> contribute data to the rows returned by your select statement.  So, if
> I'm understanding what you're asking here, just chop off the OF clause
> and you're set.
>
> With OF clause: lock only rows from the specified tables that contribute
> data to the rows returned by your select statement.
>
> There isn't any way that I know of to lock specific columns on a table
> as it seems the first query you listed is doing.
>
> erik jones <erik@myemma.com <mailto:erik@myemma.com>>
> sofware developer
> 615-296-0838
> emma(r)

I'm at a loss as to how to remove the OF clause at the server.  It it
possible to do it with a rule?  I don't have control over the
application and it's written to work with Oracle.  I do have control
over the JDBC driver, so maybe I should look for a solution there.
Maybe a wrapper or something.

Randall