Re: How to implement backup protocol - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: How to implement backup protocol
Date
Re: How to implement backup protocol  (Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>)
Re: How to implement backup protocol  ("Michael Nolan" <htfoot@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> The weekly backup of the larger of the two databases produces a file that
> is about 20GB and takes about an hour and 15 minutes.  I then compress it
> down to about 4 GB, which takes another hour. However, because that's a
> separate task, it doesn't impact the database server as much.  (I suspect
> all that I/O slows things down a bit, but I haven't noticed any
> significant effect in my transaction time reports. That task is run during
> the slowest 4 hour period of the week, though).

My environment is a bit different. For safety, I need to create backups to
separate computer over over internet.

1. Backup computer has client category internet connection (ADSL, 600 KBit/s
download speed).

2.  Query "SELECT sum( relpages * 8/1000)  FROM pg_class" returns 1302  for
a database restored from backup.
So my data size seems to be approx 1 GB only.

3. Backup file size is 70 M

4. Backup client has all ports closed.

5. Server has *only* 5432 port open.

So I think that 4.5 hours which requires to create backup is because pg_dump
download the whole database  (1 GB) in uncompressed format over slow
internet connection.
Compression level does not affect to this almost at all.

I think I can create backup copy fast in server computer but how to send it
to backup computer?

pg_read_file() can read only text files and is restricted only to
superusers.

How to add a function pg_read_backup()  to Postgres which creates and
returns backup file with download speed ?
This problably requires implementing some file download protocol.

> BTW, if you've never actually tested your recovery capabilities, can you
> be sure they work?
> I did a full-blown test in February or March and found a few loose ends.
> And when we had to do the real thing in May (due to a power supply
> failure), there were STILL a few loose ends, but we were back online
> within 12 hours of when I started the recovery process, and half of that
> time was spent completing the setup of the 'backup' server, which I had
> been rebuilding.  I'm working to lower that downtime and will be doing
> another full-blown test in January or February.

I expect that full database backup created using pd_dump does not have never
have any problems on restore.

Andrus.