Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs
Date
List pgsql-general
> - Of the few multiple-db GUIs, 99% (or probably 100%) use JDBC/ODBC
> layer to connect and work with the databases and JAVA or some other kind
> of high level toolkit/language to develop the GUI. This results in
> applications being bulky and slow and never able to provide the speed
> that a low level C/C++ client API provide and are supported by all of
> the standard databases.

I am maintaining such an application and it is neither bulky nor slow. It's all
a matter of implementation.

Just an example: with the enhanced batching in Oracle's current JDBC driver
(yes, I know this is an Oracle list) I can even achieve the same import speed as
SQL*Loader when importing flat files.

Btw: coming from a Java world, I do consider HSQLDB and Derby belonging to the
list of "standard databases"

Thomas