Re: Alternative to \copy in psql modelled after \g - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: Alternative to \copy in psql modelled after \g
Date
List pgsql-hackers
    Fabien COELHO wrote:

> > Now if you download data with SELECT or COPY and we can't even
> > create the file, how is that a good idea to intentionally have the
> > script fail to detect it? What purpose does it satisfy?
>
> It means that the client knows that the SQL command, and possible
> associated side effects, were executed server-side, and that if we are in
> a transaction it is still going on:
>
>   BEGIN;
>   UPDATE pgbench_branches SET bbalance = bbalance + 1 RETURNING * \g /bad
>   // the update is performed, the transaction is not rollbacked,
>   // *but* the output file was not written, "COMMIT" save changes.

if PQexec() could not store the results for lack of memory, it would
yield a PGRES_FATAL_ERROR, then :ERROR would be set to true, and yet
the server-side operation would have been performed. Additionally, If
that BEGIN was not there, the statement would also have been
committed, so its effect would be durable independently of the value
of :ERROR.

My point is that client-side issues already affect :ERROR,
so it can't be assumed that :ERROR=true implies that the SQL
statement did not have effects on the server.

In that sense, the patch in its current state does not break this
guarantee, since it does not exist in the first place.

OTOH I hope that :ERROR = false is a true guarantee that there
have been no problem whatsoever in the execution of
the last statement.

> on the contrary I'm basically ok with changing ERROR
> documentation and implementation (what I called option 1),

The doc only says:

   ERROR
      true if the last SQL query failed, false if it succeeded.
      See also SQLSTATE.

If the failure to retrieve results is included in "query failed", which
seems a reasonable interpretation to me, it doesn't need to be changed.

What's not right is "SELECT ... \g /bad" having a different effect on
:ERROR than "COPY... \g /bad".
I plan to follow up on that because there are other problems with
SELECT ... \g anyway, for instance, when a disk full occurs,
it's not reported at all. But that problem is not in the code path
of COPY.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité