Question on collapsing a sparse matrix - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bryan Emrys
Subject Question on collapsing a sparse matrix
Date
Re: Question on collapsing a sparse matrix  (David Gardner <david@gardnerit.net>)
List pgsql-novice
I've been handed a table that reminds me of a sparse matrix and I'm thinking that there should be some SQL way to simplify it.

Assume table like (a column for every department, separate rows for each state if any department has headcount in the state, but each row has only one headcount entry):

State    Dept1   Dept2   Dept3   Dept4
AZ          3         NULL    NULL    NULL
AZ        NULL       2        NULL    NULL
AZ        NULL     NULL     17       NULL
CA          2         NULL    NULL    NULL
CA        NULL       21      NULL    NULL
CA        NULL     NULL   NULL      6
CA        NULL     NULL     4         NULL
etc

I'm trying to get to

State    Dept1   Dept2   Dept3   Dept4
AZ          3           2           17      NULL
CA          2         21             4        6
etc

Is there some way of rolling up or ANDing records so that I can sum each state into a single record per state? This looks like something that would be obvious, but I'm apparently missing it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

(BTW, there are a couple hundred departments in the actual table, they are not conveniently numbered and as you may guess from the example, there is not a consistent number of rows for each state; some have only 1 row, some have 40 or more, it simply depends on how many departments have headcount in that state.)

Bryan