Re: Improving tracking/processing of buildfarm test failures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Improving tracking/processing of buildfarm test failures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2024-05-24 Fr 16:00, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 02:00:00PM +0300, Alexander Lakhin wrote:
>> I'd like to discuss ways to improve the buildfarm experience for anyone who
>> are interested in using information which buildfarm gives to us.
>>
>> Unless I'm missing something, as of now there are no means to determine
>> whether some concrete failure is known/investigated or fixed, how
>> frequently it occurs and so on... From my experience, it's not that
>> unbelievable that some failure occurred two years ago and lost in time was
>> an indication of e. g. a race condition still existing in the code/tests
>> and thus worth fixing. But without classifying/marking failures it's hard
>> to find such or other interesting failure among many others...
> I agree this is an area of difficulty consuming buildfarm results.  I have an
> inefficient template for studying a failure, which your proposals would help:
>
> **** grep recent -hackers for animal name
> **** search the log for ~10 strings (e.g. "was terminated") to find the real indicator of where it failed
> **** search buildfarm database for that indicator
>
>> The first way to improve things I can imagine is to add two fields to the
>> buildfarm database: a link to the failure discussion (set when the failure
>> is investigated/reproduced and reported in -bugs or -hackers) and a commit
>> id/link (set when the failure is fixed). I understand that it requires
> I bet the hard part is getting data submissions, so I'd err on the side of
> making this as easy as possible for submitters.  For example, accept free-form
> text for quick notes, not only URLs and commit IDs.
>
>> modifying the buildfarm code, and adding some UI to update these fields,
>> but it allows to add filters to see only unknown/non-investigated failures
>> in the buildfarm web interface later.
>>
>> The second way is to create a wiki page, similar to "PostgreSQL 17 Open
>> Items", say, "Known buildfarm test failures" and fill it like below:
>> <url to failure1>
>> <url to failure2>
>> Useful info from the failure logs for reference
>> <link to -hackers thread>
>> ---
>> This way is less invasive, but it would work well only if most of
>> interested people know of it/use it.
>> (I could start with the second approach, if you don't mind, and we'll see
>> how it works.)
> Certainly you doing (2) can only help, though it may help less than (1).
>

> I recommend considering what the buildfarm server could discover and publish
> on its own.  Examples:
>
> - N members failed at the same step, in a related commit range.  Those members
>    are now mostly green.  Defect probably got fixed quickly.
>
> - Log contains the following lines that are highly correlated with failure.
>    The following other reports, if any, also contained them.

I'm prepared to help, but also bear in mind that currently the only
people who can submit notes are animal owners who can attach notes to
their own animals. I'm not keen to allow general public submission of
notes to the database. We already get lots of spam requests that we turn
away.

If you have queries that you want canned we can look at that. Ditto
extra database fields. Currently we don't have any processing that
correlates different failures, but that's not inconceivable.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan