Re: dblink syntax question for remotely invoking void-returning procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Asko Oja
Subject Re: dblink syntax question for remotely invoking void-returning procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Take a stab at plproxy if you want to remotly call functions. Should be much better suited than dblink for that.

Regards
Asko

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
On 1/24/09, Ian Sollars <ian.sollars@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've got some questions about dblink that I couldn't find answers to in the
> documentation. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> I need to invoke a function on a remote server that returns either void or
> text, and I'm trying to find a nice way of doing it.

did you try this?
perform * from dblink('test', 'select inserttest()') as t1(test text);

Anyways, I never write void returning functions.  Another problem with
them (for example) is that they can't be called using the binary query
protocol.  These are minor nits since the workaround is easy.

merlin