Re: proposal sql: labeled function params - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Asko Oja
Subject Re: proposal sql: labeled function params
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Would AS be harder to implement?

select foo(10 AS a, 20 AS b);
select foo(20 AS b, 20 AS a);
select x(0 >= 1 AS a);

other fantasies
select foo(10 a, 20 b);
select foo("a" 10, "b" 20);

regards,
Asko

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
2008/8/20 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> "Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> writes:
>> I understand now why Oracle use => symbol for named params. This isn't
>> used so operator - so implementation is trivial.
>
> You really didn't understand the objection at all, did you?
>
> The point is not about whether there is any built-in operator named =>.
> The point is that people might have created user-defined operators named
> that.

I understand well, so only I don't see better solution. Yes, everyone
who used => should have problems, but it is similar with .. new
keywords, etc. Probably easy best syntax doesn't exist :(. I  haven't
idea who use => now and how often, and if this feature is possible in
pg, but there are not technical barriers.

regards
Pavel Stehule