Re: Compatibility types, type aliases, and distinct types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Asko Oja
Subject Re: Compatibility types, type aliases, and distinct types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
theycan save some work for dba's during transitions from one situation to better one.<br /><br />> There is also
anotherpossible way one might want to create a compatibility<br /> > type.  Instead of creating a new type, create
analias for an existing type,<br /> > much like we currently have built-in mappings for int -> int4, bigint
-><br/> > int8, etc.  The difference here is that the type you put in is not the same<br /> > as the one you
getdumped out.  So depending on taste and requirements, a<br /> > user might want to choose the distinct type or the
aliasroute.<br /><br />Example or two would be helpful here where you expect this kind of functionality be useful.
Couldyou use it for defining Oracle compatibel varchar2 and how would it work then?<br /><br /><div
class="gmail_quote">OnMon, Aug 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Stephen Frost <span dir="ltr"><<a
style="border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div class="Ih2E3d">*
PeterEisentraut (<a href="mailto:peter_e@gmx.net">peter_e@gmx.net</a>) wrote:<br /> > There is also another possible
wayone might want to create a compatibility<br /> > type.  Instead of creating a new type, create an alias for an
existingtype,<br /> > much like we currently have built-in mappings for int -> int4, bigint -><br /> >
int8,etc.  The difference here is that the type you put in is not the same<br /> > as the one you get dumped out.
 Sodepending on taste and requirements, a<br /> > user might want to choose the distinct type or the alias route.<br
ofobject types.  Most recently I was wishing<br /> I could create a schema synonym, though being able to do
Whatdo you think about adding this kind of support to PostgreSQL?  Obviously,<br /> > some details need to be worked