Re: Avoiding Application Re-test - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Asko Oja
Subject Re: Avoiding Application Re-test
Date
List pgsql-hackers
preferapplications retest when migrating to new PostgreSQL version. In this case surprises happen then you expect them
notin some unforeseen point of time in the future.<br /> Keeping all this old functionality around will make
maintenanceand adding new stuff harder.<br />It also complicates tracking problems where in addition to db version you
5:17PM, Simon Riggs <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:simon@2ndquadrant.com">simon@2ndquadrant.com</a>></span>
wrote:<br/><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;
padding-left:1ex;"> Tom's recent changes to allow hash distinct (yay!) prompted something<br /> that I'd thought about
slowdown or prevent an upgrade to the latest release. We<br /> always assume the upgrade itself is the problem, but the
isa parameter called sql_compatibility which has<br /> settings such as 8.3, 8.4 etc.. By default it would have the
value8.4,<br /> but for people that want to upgrade *without* retesting their<br /> application, they could set it to
foolproof,but still worth it. This would allow many users to<br /> upgrade to 8.4 for new features, yet without
/><br/> --<br /> Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (<a
href="mailto:pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org">pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org</a>)<br/> To make changes to your