Re: Delay in converting logs from ready state to done state - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Delay in converting logs from ready state to done state
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/10/2016 07:26, Samir Magar wrote:
> Team,
>
> we are seeing delay in converting logs from ready state to done state in
> pg_xlog archive status.
>
> we have seen pg_xlog generated 2000 per hour and it is getting archived
> 1894. So the speed at which the archiving is done is too slow as compare
> to the pg_xlog generation
>
> So our pg_xlog directory keeps filling regularly. What should be the
> real cause here?
>
> We cannot see any specific error on pg_log  except no space left on device.
>

> current setting:
>
> wal_level = archive
>
> archive_mode = on
>
> max_wal_senders = 3
>
> archive_command = 'gzip < %p > /pgarchive/%f'

You could use pigz which is parallel, that could speed up compression.

> checkpoint_segments = 3

this is way to low. If you generate 2000 WAL per hour, you should
configure it to something like 170 (or 5 min average if 2000 is a
spike).  It'll perform less checkpoint and also generate less WALs.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org