Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)
Subject Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 2021-06-10 03:29, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
On 6/9/21 9:50 PM, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:
First, pg_dumpall (v13.3) errors out, because on RDS, you cannot be a superuser, & it tries to dump protected stuff.  If there is a way around that, I'd like to know it, even though it's not an issue now. pg_dump works OK, but of course you don't get the roles dumped. Fortunately, I kept script files that have all the database setup, so I just ran them to create all the relationships, & then used the pg_dump output.  Worked flawlessly.
This was added in release 12 specifically with RDS in mind:

  pg_dumpall --exclude-database

cheers, andrew

I guess I don't understand what that option does:

=>pg_dumpall -U Admin --exclude-database MailPen >zzz.sql
pg_dump: error: could not write to output file: No space left on device
pg_dumpall: error: pg_dump failed on database "MailPen", exiting

I expected a tiny file, not 3.5GB.  "MailPen" is the only database (other than what's pre-installed).  Do I need quotes on the command line?