A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows binary! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From cs1spw@bath.ac.uk (Simon Willison)
Subject A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows binary!
Date
List pgsql-general
This is my first time posting here and I've not lurked that much so
feel free to lamblast me if I'm out of line - but from what I've seen
of PostGres one of the biggest barriers to more widespread use is the
lack of an easy to use windows binary. I'm a PHP/mySQL web developer
who would love to switch over to using Postgres, but since I do all my
development under windows (I've got linux installed but due to various
things I find windows a more productive environment on the desktop)
I've hit something of a dead end. I tried installing cygwin but failed
to get it working properly, and there's no way I'm going to shell out
for a Windows C++ compiler to compile from scratch.

I know I am not alone - I've seen hundreds of posts on message boards
/ mailing lists from people in a similar situation to me who
desperately want to learn postgres but can't get it working on
windows. For all it's faults, mySQL has a nice easy to use windows
distribution which you can download, install and use straight away.

Are there any plans for an easy to use windows binary? Has this been
discussed a thousand times before (I did a search on google groups but
didn't find much)? Do I ask too many questions?

Cheers,

Simon