Re: wrong message when trying to create an already existing index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: wrong message when trying to create an already existing index
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/10/2018 07:00 AM, legrand legrand wrote:
> Hello,
> When trying to create an already existing index (in pg 9.5)
>
> SQL> create  index if not exists NEWINDEX on SCHEMA.TABLE(COL);
>        > relation "NEWINDEX" already exists, skipping
>
> message speaks about relation (and not index)

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/catalog-pg-class.html

"The catalog pg_class catalogs tables and most everything else that has
columns or is otherwise similar to a table. This includes indexes (but
see also pg_index), sequences (but see also pg_sequence), views,
materialized views, composite types, and TOAST tables; see relkind.
Below, when we mean all of these kinds of objects we speak of
“relations”. Not all columns are meaningful for all relation types."

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com