Re: Use standard SIGHUP and SIGTERM handlers in autoprewarm module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Use standard SIGHUP and SIGTERM handlers in autoprewarm module
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2020/11/27 0:15, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 7:37 PM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What do you mean by normal shutdown of bgworker? Is it that bgworker has exited successfully with exit code 0 or
forsome reason with exit code other than 0? Or is it when the postmaster is shutdown normally?

>>> IIUC, when a bgworker exists either normally with an exit code 0 or other than 0, then CleanupBackgroundWorker() is
calledin postmaster, a message(like below) is prepared, and the LogChildExit() is called with either DEBUG1 or LOG
leveland for instance the message you specified gets printed "background worker ... exited with exit code 1". I have
notseen a FATAL message similar to "background worker ... exited with exit code 1" at the normal shutdown.

>>> snprintf(namebuf, MAXPGPATH, _("background worker \"%s\""), rw->rw_worker.bgw_type);
>>>
>>> LogChildExit(EXIT_STATUS_0(exitstatus) ? DEBUG1 : LOG, namebuf, pid, exitstatus);
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>>>
>>> If my analysis is right, then for instance, when a logical replication launcher is exited, it logs "background
worker"logical replication launcher" exited with exit code X" with either DEBUG1 or LOG level but not with FATAL
level.

>> Yes, it's not with FATAL level. But that message looks like that it's
>> reporting error message. This is why we sometimes received
>> the complaints (e.g., [1][2]) about that message.
>>

> Oh. Should we do something about it now?

No. This is not directly related to the issue that we are discussing
as I told upthread. Of course, it's better to work on this if we can
easily fix it. But seems not... So please ignore this my comment.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center