Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/03/2018 02:47 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey@proteus-tech.com> writes:
>> Is there some archive of the discussion that brought on this effort and the
>> considerations of the committee itself? I wish I had seen the earlier
>> announcements in 2016 as I would have definitely participated.
>
> If you poke around in our mailing list archives for early 2016 (Jan/Feb),
> you'll find a number of threads about it.  Mostly on the -general list,
> IIRC.
>
>> Another more specific factual question - have there been incidents within
>> the active Postgresql community where behaviour by individuals who are
>> participants in the community have conducted themselves in a manner that
>> brought on the actual need for such a code of conduct to exist in the first
>> place?
>
> I believe there were a couple of unfortunate incidents at conferences.
> Now, conferences are generally expected to have their own CoCs and enforce
> them themselves; this CoC is meant more to cover on-line interactions.
> You could argue that we shouldn't create such a CoC until something bad
> happens on-line; but I'd prefer to think that having a CoC might prevent
> that from ever happening at all, which is surely better.
>
> In any case, we went over all these sorts of arguments at excruciating
> length in 2016.  It's quite clear to the core team that a majority of
> the community wants a CoC.  I don't think any useful purpose will be

Since there was never a community vote taken I am not sure how it was
determined there was a majority in favor. From what I remember of the
online discussion the opinion was evenly split on the need for a CoC.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com