Re: Proposition for autoname columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Proposition for autoname columns
Date
Re: Proposition for autoname columns  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/12/20 9:14 AM, Eugen Konkov wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Thursday, November 12, 2020, 3:19:39 PM, you wrote:

>>> Yes, the user explicitly calling a function would be much easier to
>>> predict.
>>>
>> I suspect this is doomed to failure. There is no guarantee that the path
>> expression is going to be static or constant across rows. Say you have
>> this table:
>> x: foo, j: {"foo": 1, "bar": 2}
>> x: bar  j: {"foo": 3, "bar": 4}
>> and you say:
>>   select j->>x from mytable;
>> What should the column be named?
> Suppose it should be named 'as x'

So if we then say:

    select x, j->>x from mytable;

you want both result columns named x? That seems like a recipe for
serious confusion. I really don't think this proposal has been properly
thought through.

cheers

andrew

--