Re: copy databases from two differend backups to one cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: copy databases from two differend backups to one cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/18/22 06:33, Joseph Kennedy wrote:

I would like to copy databases from two different pg_basebackup backups to one lab environment database cluster on another server. Is it possible ?

It's a good idea to do it in that way.

Databases has your oid in pg_basebackup we can find it id in base directory for example:

 base/

1

125859

14042

14043

2315410

2321461

2321462

2321463

Database OID (and directory name) we can find by :

SELECT oid from pg_database where datname = 'database name';

 Steps:

create empty databases on destination server (database oid they will be probably different then on source databases)

stop Postgresql

cleanup destination directories eg. 2315410, 2321461, 2321462, 2321463

copy eg. content from pg_bassebackup01 base/(some OID) to 2315410 and 2321461

copy eg. content from pg_bassebackup02 base/(some OID) to 2321462 and 2321463

start postgresql

Is it a good or  very bad idea ?

Why can't you do pg_dump/pg_restore?