Re: non-WAL btree? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wilson
Subject Re: non-WAL btree?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:16 PM, David Wilson <david.t.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Alex Vinogradovs
> <AVinogradovs@clearpathnet.com> wrote:
>> By loading in bulks, I mean I load some 40-50 thousand
>> rows at once into a table that already has some millions.
>> Index rebuild on that table after each 50k inserts will
>> be even less efficient ;)
>
> How many indexes do you have on this...? I do this pretty regularly
> (actually, I do 4k batches with COPY, 4-10 concurrent batches every 10
> seconds, for 2-3 days at a time) and, having testing dropping indices,
> nothing to do with the index has a particularly strong performance
> impact.

Sorry, as I hit send, I realized I should clarify this: I do my bulk
loads with the indexes active; I don't rebuild them (as they're
necessary during the batch calculations). Dropping the indexes and
using test data didn't show a significant performance improvement over
leaving the indexes enabled.

--
- David T. Wilson
david.t.wilson@gmail.com