Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device") - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Tolley
Subject Re: URGENT: Whole DB down ("no space left on device")
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/31/07, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb@cybertec.at> wrote:
> Phoenix Kiula írta:
> > I am getting this message when I start the DB:
> >

> > psql: FATAL:  could not access status of transaction 0
> > DETAIL:  Could not write to file "pg_subtrans/01F8" at offset 221184:
> > No space left on device.
> >

> > What is this about and how do I solve this? A "df -h" on my system shows this:
> >

> > Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/sda2     ext3    9.9G  9.5G     0 100% /var

In addition to what others have already said, when things calm down
you should consider implementing some sort of monitoring system that
is configured to start screaming before you run into problems like
this. At my place of work, we've set up Nagios to monitor the space
left on various partitions, and email us when a partition gets above
90% full.

- eggyknap