Re: What do people like to monitor (or in other words, what might be nice in pgsnmpd)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Tolley
Subject Re: What do people like to monitor (or in other words, what might be nice in pgsnmpd)?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/2/07, Gavin M. Roy <gmr@myyearbook.com> wrote:
> Are you contemplating providing access to data that's currently not stored
> in the pg_ catalog tables?  I currently monitor the statio data,
> transactions per second, and active/idle backends.  Things that I think
> would be useful would be average query execution time, longest execution
> time, etc.  Other pie in the sky ideas would include current level of total
> bloat in a database, total size on disk of a database broken down by tables,
> indexes, etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gavin

My own goal is to have pgsnmpd able, as much as possible, to fill the
same role the set of scripts an arbitrary PostgreSQL DBA sets up on a
typical production server. That includes statistics tables and catalog
tables, but certainly isn't limited to just that. So doing things like
categorizing total sessions in interesting and useful ways (for
instance, # of idle connections, # of active connections, max
transaction length, etc.) are certainly within pgsnmpd's purview.

In short, all the suggestions you listed are useful, and provided the
framework allows us to get reasonably good values for them, worthy of
implementation in pgsnmpd. Thanks.

-Josh